If you’re experiencing dental fear, you’re not alone. A study conducted on one hundred and thirty dental patients showed that 83.1% of those patients suffered from dental anxiety.
We have come up with 5 great ways to overcome your dental fear. There are many ways patients can cope with their fears and anxieties surrounding dental office visits. It is incredibly important to keep up with your regularly scheduled appointments, and by using these 5 tips, you should be able to do so without that fear and anxiety you’ve experienced at prior visits!
- Know that you are being taken care of by a professional: Going to the dentist is putting your health first. You are limiting your chance of gum disease, cavities, and other dental issues that can cause potential harmful risks to your health. When you’re sitting in the dental chair, you are going to be taken care of by someone who is trained, licensed, and is dedicated to helping you with your well-being.
- Change your focus: Do you enjoy music, podcasts, or audio books? Take out your earbuds after you check in at your appointment and start listening to one of your favorite forms of media! Music is known to be calming, so if you’re able to listen to some tunes you love, it may help ease your fears about being at the dentist. Podcasts and audio books can take you out of your own world for a bit and into another! No matter which you choose, getting out of your own head will help ease your mind.
- Ask for an in-depth explanation: Knowing is half the battle when easing your fears. Many people have a fear of the unknown, but once those people are made aware of what they can expect, it eases some of that fear. The same can be true for dental visits, too! Before your dentist starts any work, ask them to explain, in detail, what they’ll be doing. You’ll be prepared and not left wondering during your visit. Make your fears known to your dentist, they’ll be sure to help you understand the benefits of the services they’ll be providing and help ease your mind.
- Best foods to eat prior to your appointment: Caffeine and sugar produce jittery feelings, which only add to your stress and fear. Choosing to eat foods that are high in protein actually produce a calming effect. If you can, schedule an afternoon appointment and eat a high-protein lunch prior to your appointment. This has been linked to an overall feeling of calmness at visits!
- Read reviews on your dentist: Reading through reviews online, or even asking for a referral in person, can help ease your fears about your next appointment. Seeing that others have had positive experiences at the same location you’ll be going to can help relax and calm your fears and anxieties about the visit. Reviews are one of the best ways to see firsthand that you will be properly taken care of!
Ready to take the next step?
Dr. Dabah and his staff at Salem Dental Company are dedicated to providing every patient a comfortable and pleasant experience. Our office offers a variety of services to meet your dental needs. We accept many dental insurance plans and work hard to ensure you receive the best treatment available.
We can start by offering you a consultation. This will help ease your fears and allow you to meet us and discuss treatment prior to starting! We are always accepting new patients and look forward to meeting you! Call us today at (847) 882-8387 or fill out our online appointment request form.